Monday, December 28, 2009

The Person You're Trying To Call Is Dead




My mobile phone died yesterday. I had it referred to the cell-phone-man. He performed an autopsy on it, said the phone had had an IC failure (that’s internal circuit). He did an M&M (that’s mouth-to-mouth) resuscitation. The bloody thing actually woke up! Like Lazarus he was back from the dead. I couldn’t believe it. The cell-man sat there, smug as an academic among illiterates. I gave the man 500 bucks and stroked my planet-proof Samsung B2100. A call comes in. I hear nothing. My ringtone, the Beatles’ “Come Together” is quiet. I’m shouting hellos- nothing. I hang the phone and push play on the music, still no dice. So I go back to the cell-man, peeved at his expertise. He opens up the body, tears every cell apart and says “the sound cable is dead.”

“Well, can’t you fix that” I prod. “For another 500 bucks I could” he retorts.
I tell him to keep the dung. In my mind, I’d already cremated the bloody planet-proofer. The phone wasn’t the only thing that died that day. A lot of other things died too. For starters, my faith in my fellow-Bhutanese drivers died. Why on earth can they not drive on the designated lane? What’s with the abrupt pullovers and indicators three seconds away from a turn? And why is it, against all the equity and justice I try and execute, almost always women?

My belief in the ability of our parliamentarians to do service for the greater good is also dying. When they wanted patangs to go with their blue scarves it was Okayed. That was just a starter. Next they wanted signature-plates announcing the importance of the man inside the van. That was Okayed too. Then it was additional-income to better execute their J.O.B which was also Okayed. Next was the CDG- a virtual re-election guarantee in the next round of voting. This was over the top and the response was apt, no one wants monopoly in this day and age (though that’s another affair). The list is listless. They wanted trips abroad, allowances that went short of being paid for the hair, the gel and the missus. Now they want another raise.
We are being fed the usual autopsy reports- to attract better people to do the J.O.B. One can only imagine the consequences had the media not covered the event. When they commanded the BBS shutdown the excuses were so poor the beggar downtown was feeling insulted.

Buddhists love to say everything is constantly dying. That’s just such a ringer! Queuing is dead. Humility is dead. Understanding landlords are dead. Altruism is dead. The Good Samaritan is dead. Decency is dead. Politeness is dead. Respect is dead and the antonyms to these synonyms are alive and grunting (we get kicked and elbowing is just so passé).

Then on our National Day we see our King and his deeds. He’s walking with us, talking with us, comforting us, inspiring us and promising us all he can in Body, Speech and Mind.

He is radiant and He is alive. He is so alive that I feel dead.

How difficult is it to make the simple connection between what He expects from us and the things we actually do? I’m not sour. This litany is not about bitter grapes. Really, it’s quite simple. It’s been almost two years and we have had the patience to wait for our elected-representatives to sift the wheat from the chaff. When that gets dragged on and on, really, it’s hard to keep the faith. Everything that gets done seem to have its roots in individual endowment of the personal kind. The office you hold is an elected-public forum where you have the honor to actually affect change- change in the way your brethren live on a daily basis and down to future generations.

I’d think that was beyond the call of duty. The blame game between your two houses certainly makes good housekeeping and home improvement a joke. Everything must begin inside the head and the heart. If those motivations are of the selfish kind, we all suffer. Sudden deaths are a tragedy but pre-motivated murders, even more tragic.
We’ll all die one day but in the mean time, let’s try and live and live reasonably.

Ps: YourLustForLifeStartsRightNow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great piece, Acho. You took the words out of my mouth. I think our MPs have come to a stage so fast, in so short a time, that even if all of us walk towards them with what you've written about literally writ large across our faces they will not blink, out of indifference!

Anonymous said...

I think, that you are mistaken. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.