Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Arrested Development: Imagine You Are Sonam Tshering


Where does one even begin trying to write about a subject that has become an object of loathing, sneering, annoying, irritating and of late, arresting in the literal sense of the word? By expressing your right to voice.

Yes. We are talking the tobacco ban because it needs to be talked about. Some might accuse harbingers of this topic as myopic skeptics drawing the knife after the bear’s been gone. Well, to begin with, we never saw the bear and before you could say “yallama” the damage had been done. The bear had rampaged the orchards and all we got was the bulletin stuck on an apple tree with the menacing diktak: “Smoke and you will go to jail.” They threw in a little carrot for comfort and called it the “receipt.” Very apt, for poor innocent country folks like Sonam Tshering is at the receiving end. As we speak, the illiterate villager who came to Thimphu a year ago to study at the Semtokha Rigney School had barely been outside the boundaries of his remote village. He is 23 and studying at Class II. To me that says he has never been to a conventional school and thus couldn’t read or write. Since he is in Class II I assume he is learning basic Dzongkha grammar.

His other unfortunate fate that day was sharing the moniker of the person who was smuggling in illegal substances. They shared the same name. So when the police, tipped about the dealer, went alert combing the buses and other vehicles plying the Phuentsholing – Thimphu route, it was the poor and ignorant Sonam Tshering who was caught; sitting in his seat innocently with the babas underneath his seat. Needless to say, his apprehension left him bewildered and frightened.
He was detained on Christmas Eve. Even if he has never heard of Santa Claus, and I’ll bet you my middle finger that this was undoubtedly the surprise of his young life. What a gift the magi have brought forth!

Now foresight is not a commodity made in china on sale en masse, rather, hindsight is all we can buy. And in that sight, what comes to light is the fact that the zealots’ hell bent on enforcing their self-righteousness on the general populace swayed the people’s elected representatives away (which reflects poorly on them). Look, if you are a good human being, free of the stains that bedeck us mere mortals, then jolly good luck to you! But trying to shape people in your image will not work. Ask Hitler, ask Stalin, and ask the holier-than–thou cults and figures that have tried molding the common man with his daily rut in their image. Or for that matter ask Jehovah what happened to his Garden of Eden and the residents he created with access to everything save the apple.

You see, all these stories invariably conclude with debacles, often of the tragic sort, with people sent to gulags and concentration camps, breaking up social harmony and igniting anarchy. Time does not matter. What matters is that in time the finale has been the same throughout the centuries – inglorious ignominy.
What is even sadder is the incomprehensible fact that so many level headed and grounded representatives got swayed, or could not muster up the guts to oppose what was and is obviously a bland bill with an overwhelming nonsensical rationale at best and the unnecessary creation of criminals at worst and more.

The only positive spin, if one can do the doosra, is to redeem the folly and have it repealed, re-amended or hold a referendum. This is the only honorable exit out of this gallows. Do that and you shall regain the confidence of the people; arrogant dismissal of the sort being sprouted by some of the representatives will only fog the smoky matter.

The disgust and the discussions continue, and rightly so, even if it is at the cost of talking about issues that really matter. Education, poverty, health, water, electricity, housing et al are some of the fundamental needs and as we speak, there is the extensive MTR entourage touring the country’s boondocks without getting the print mileage it deserves. And meanwhile here we are arrested with tobacco talks. Never underestimate the power of a stupid law; it can literally deliver to you, in person, the phrase “arrested development” with hands cuffed and remanded at the crowded bunks at the burdened detention center.
Then start imagining the consequences of your self-righteousness and redress the act, for that is what a truly righteous person would do. Make amends rather than meting out punishments. As in war, the first victims and casualties are always the poor. And that is because they are surplus to requirements. To conclude, here is a gem from a passionate social activist who wrote on Facebook’s “Amend the Tobacco Act” – a cause gathering momentum: “If my smoke is affecting them, their Land Cruisers' smoke is affecting me…” Now imagine you are Sonam Tshering.


PS: YourLustForLifeStartsRightNow!

10 comments:

Patriciajndd said...

Your career and Salary For an advanced guide on how to persuade your potential employer to giving you the money you want visit 20daypersuasion.com Putting yourself in the shoes of the person doing the hiring is the most important step in writing a resume that markets you. You do not want a resume that merely describes your job history. Every step that you make in writing a finished resume should convey that you are an exceptional candidate and you deserve the job.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious to find out what blog system you are utilizing? I'm experiencing some minor security issues with my
latest site and I'd like to find something more risk-free. Do you have any solutions?

my website - Recommended Reading

Anonymous said...

I am new to building sites and I was wanting to know if having your blog title relevant to your articles and other content really that important?

I see your title, "Blogger: iamDrukpa " does appear to be spot on
with what your website is about yet, I prefer to keep my
title less content descriptive and based more around site branding.
Would you think this is a good idea or bad idea?

Any help would be greatly valued.

Here is my web-site; visit the next page

Anonymous said...

Hi there! This is my first visit to your blog! We are
a collection of volunteers and starting a new initiative
in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us useful information to work on.
You have done a wonderful job!

Feel free to visit my web blog; resources

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I'm about to begin my own blog and was wondering if you know where the best place to buy a website url is? I am not even sure if that's what its called?
(I'm new to this) I'm referring to "http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=8750160237409004408&postID=9044521500667540078".
Exactly how do I go about acquiring one of these for the website I'm creating? Cheers

Also visit my page: view website

Anonymous said...

Good day! I was curious to know if setting up a site such your own: http:
//www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=8750160237409004408&postID=9044521500667540078 is tough to do for unskilled
people? I have been hoping to develop my own website for
a while now but have been turned off because I've always assumed it demanded tons of work. What do you think? Thank you

My weblog: professional link building

Anonymous said...

I know this if off topic but I'm looking into starting my own weblog and was curious what all is required to get set up? I'm assuming having a
blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I'm not very internet savvy so I'm not 100%
sure. Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Visit my web blog services seo ()

Anonymous said...

Hello are using Wordpress for your site platform?
I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get started and create my own.

Do you need any coding expertise to make your own blog?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Feel free to surf to my site - low cost seo services - www.th-surselva.ch -

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am new to running a blog and internet sites in general
and was curious about how you got the "www" included in your
domain name? I see your web address, "http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=8750160237409004408&postID=9044521500667540078" has the www and my domain
looks like, "http://mydomain.com". Do you know the best way I can change
this? I'm using Wordpress platform. Thank you so much

my page :: seo link building

Anonymous said...

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and
I find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I
hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me.



Feel free to surf to my blog post ... HyperGH 14X Review